Life today is quite something. We live to a hyperactive pulse, and it just seems to get faster. Technology keeps us plugged in almost round the clock.
Sometimes we tend to forget about that part of ourselves that needs to breathe deep lungfuls of fresh air, look up to the sun and feel its warm glow on the face, and hear nothing but a raptor in flight and the steady wind in the golden rustling grass. It's not as far as you think.
City dwellers in Johannesburg, Bloemfontein and Durban have, at their doorstep, a gem of a hideaway mountain retreat. Occupying pride of place within the Sterkfontein Nature Reserve, Wild Horses Lodge is a rambling Sandstone villa facing the breathtaking expanse of the Sterkfontein Dam and the Platberg Mountains.
This Drakensberg Lodge was built with living in mind. Kitchen, lounge, and bar area merge, and regardless of which room you choose to inhabit you are treated to the most magical view. The dining room opens out to an expansive terrace. A private library, wine cellar, Koi pond, rim-flow pool, rose garden and landscaped indigenous garden complete the picture. This is like home ... only better.
True luxury is as much about subtle detail as it is about furniture and décor. You'll notice the night cap on the bedside table as you retire to your suite, and the freshly baked biscuits with the coffee. This mountain retreat has proudly earned each of its five stars.
Wild Horses Lodge should be penned on the map of any traveller who enjoys to drive and explore. Whether it be the Midlands Meander, The Drakensberg Mountains or the Clarens Route, the scenery will literally render you breathless. For a romantic Drakensberg getaway, a few days away from the kids, a place to celebrate a special occasion (birthday, anniversary, or intimate gathering), or a getaway with friends, Wild Horses Lodge accommodates up to 8 people in 4 uniquely decorated suites.
Wild Horses makes for an intimate wedding venue, and can comfortably cater for up to forty guests. Drakensberg, due to its proximity, value, and magnificent setting is a popular wedding destination. The team at Wild Horses is well versed in the art of matrimony. With access to and experience with local suppliers, brides-to-be are assured of a partner who takes their responsibility on this special day very seriously. No detail is too small - from cake to button hole.
Take a moment to imagine yourself standing with nothing but the sun in your face and the wind at your back. A place to rest and restore your spirit. You owe it to yourself every now and then.
- Five star lodge located in Harrismith, northern Drakensberg, Free State
- The only luxury boutique hotel within the Sterkfontein Nature Reserve
- Activities include boat cruises on the Sterkfontein Dam
- Foodies will enjoy the well thought out menu – 3 course dinner and generous breakfast are included
- Located along the Clarens Route
- Perfect for Mountain bikers, hikers, birders, horse-riders
- Keen fishermen and sailors will never want to leave
- A wonderful choice in accommodation for those conducting business in Harrismith
- Engagements, weddings, honeymoons, anniversaries – every milestone on the matrimonial journey
- Children over 12 are most welcome